Maintains daily and long term library operations. Provides assistance to library patrons in all library services such as answering research and information queries, cataloging materials, managing collection development, and programming. This position requires that the employee
have good knowledge, skill, and ability in all phases of the public library field.
These tasks include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Maintaining a friendly, welcoming and clean atmosphere in the library
- Overseeing and managing daily operations of the library
- Overseeing general circulation duties: checking items in and out, cataloging all materials, searching the catalog and placing holds
- Training and supervising staff and volunteers
- Creating, planning and providing educational, informational and enrichment programs for children and young adults which are consistent with the Chelsea Public Library’s mission
- Coordinating efforts of the Friends of Chelsea Public Library
- Purchasing books, movies, and audiobooks for inclusion into the collection. Resources such as Booklist or Library Journal should be used for review purposes. Patron requests will also be taken into account if the item the patron is requesting is new (publication
date within 6 months).
- Managing the library’s technology such as Internet access, computers, printers, etc.
- Coordinating the Vermont Interlibrary Loan Program. This includes sending items requested by other libraries to these libraries, requesting items from other libraries for patrons and keeping necessary statistics. See Interlibrary Loan Policy for more
- Performing research and reference transactions with patrons. These could range anywhere from technology assistance to genealogy assistance.
- Assisting and advertising library databases such as Vermont Online Library, Listen Up! Vermont
- Directing or overseeing weeding of the library’s collection. Using CREW method or Wilson catalogs for assistance in what should stay and what should go
- Planning and developing adult programs and general community outreach/collaboration
- Advertising library events and information via word of mouth, print media and online
- Managing and updating the website, the library’s calendar (both online and in the library containing all events), and Facebook page, etc.
- Preparing monthly statistical and narrative reports for the Board of Trustees regarding library operations, use and upcoming events, and yearly statistics to the town as well as the state and the Department of Libraries
- Attending monthly board meetings
- Assisting in the preparation of the annual budget and maintaining the librarian’s budget for collection development, etc.
- Adhering to policies and procedures as established by the Chelsea Public Library Board of Trustees
- Overseeing Strategic Planning in conjunction with appropriate committees and Board of Trustees
- Affiliating with state and professional organizations and attending professional meetings and workshops.
- Deciding when to close the library due to inclement weather or emergency circumstances
- Working Saturday hours
- Performing other duties as needed
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- General knowledge of the principles and methods of modern library services including automated systems and electronic and digital resources
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong communication skills
- Good written and verbal expression
- Ability to be a good listener
- Commitment to customer service
- Ability to identify patron needs and requirements
- Ability to initiate development of policies, procedures, programs and activities to meet those needs
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Ability to delegate authority
- Ability to be trained in the various technological advances in the library profession such as the utilization of computerized equipment and computer applications
- Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science Required.
- Master of Library Science preferred.
- Vermont Public Library Certification preferred at start of tenure.
- 2-3 Years of Public Library Experience Required
Health insurance provided. Dental and vision excluded.
Salary & Hours
24-30 hours weekly, including Saturdays. The hourly rate is $25.50 per hour paid every 2 weeks.
The Chelsea Public Library Board of Trustees.
Send resume to: Kezia Frayjo, Library Chair, via email at: email@example.com
– Posted 8/30/23