We’re looking for an on-site self-motivated, task driven, dynamic library assistant—who enjoys
working alone as much as with groups of people—to fulfill projects in the following areas:
Shelving, young adult programs assistance, new networks updates, event support, and any
activities that someone interested in public librarianship learns and designs.
Job Description: The Library Assistant will have various duties and responsibilities to keep the
library running smoothly as they assist the librarian. P/T 8 – 10 hours per month.
This position is likely to include some of the following tasks:
- Loan library materials such as books and DVDs to patrons and collect the returned
- Catalog and maintain the library materials.
- Handle loans between libraries.
- Organize and reshelve returned items such as periodicals, books and DVDs.
- Handle the registration of new library cardholders and issue library cards.
- Teach people how to use the library resources.
- Answer questions from patrons and refer others to the librarian.
- Perform routine tasks such as answering phone calls and organizing files.
- Use and maintain computer library database to help locate library materials.
- Help plan and participate in special library events such as youth programs or other special events.
Some professional background:
- Public service work involving institutional/admin support or previous related experience.
- Interest in libraries, public service, and taking initiative.
- Previous clerk experience a plus.
- Good knowledge of computer hardware, operating systems and applications.
- Good knowledge of network technology, especially Windows NT.
- Must be well organized and able to work well with non-technical staff and patrons.
- Ability to install, configure and troubleshoot the latest network-related hardware.
- Ability to work with a team or alone.
The ideal candidate may also:
- Have previous work experience in a library.
- Be someone interested in librarianship.
Our library is located in Windsor County, in the town of West Windsor (05037), 10 – 15 minutes off of Rte. 91. We are a small town with a library in a 1900 building, hoping the addition of a library assistant will help us grow in a community that has experienced growth over the last two years (we have vital hiking/biking/ski trails and a notable, popular, local store/cafe). This is currently a very p/t position but the role could expand. Hours: 8 – 10 per month(approximately $20. per hr). Candidates already working in libraries and/or others, especially those interested in beginning a career in librarianship, are encouraged to apply.
802-484-7205 Please do not leave a message. Please do call during open hours (Tuesday/Thursday 1-6; Saturday 11-1) or contact us via email.
– Updated 2/10/22